CONTINUOUS DATA PROTECTION
The Most Efficient Way to Protect your Most Valuable Asset is to Continuously Back it Up
The fact that IDC projects data volumes to grow in excess of 50% annually is a clear indication that the change in data today is constant. The policy of anytime anywhere access to data has proliferated across the end user community, and with that, the increase of vulnerability to data loss and corruption is on the rise. Protection of data is now, more than ever, an absolute necessity for many businesses. Lost data can significantly hamper productivity, be extremely disruptive creating application outage, and more importantly, become a deterrence to revenue generation. Re-creating lost data can become a financial burden as it is a time consuming process draining valuable resources, which still can result in some of the data not be recoverable at all.
With the realization that IT is responsible for the protection of data, any loss can be devastating. Not only are IT professionals expected to manage the exponential growth of data, while adhering to the responsibility of its availability, they have the dutiful task to manage and handle complex issues related to backup operations. The only option for the IT professional is to protect the data by providing continuous access, utilizing the most efficient and cost-effective solution available: tape. Though the limitations of tape technology are well documented and understood, going forward its role should only be reduce, but not eliminated, as its cost effectiveness can not be overlooked.
So what is the answer? The answer is to implement a Continuous Data Protection (CDP) solution.
Simply stated, CDP is:
The automated process of saving or backing up a copy of every change that is made to data to a redundant storage resource. CDP is the preservation of every record of every transaction executed by the business.
Also known as continuous backup, CDP creates an electronic journal (a storage snapshot) at the byte level for every instant in time in which modification to the data occurs. This results in several advantages for IT professional, such as:
- Provides non-stop backup of important data
- Offers restoration and recovery of the data from any given point in time in seconds versus hours
- Protects against mutilated or corrupted data, file or system loss
- Optimizes the recovery point objective (RPO) and recovery time objectives (RTO) which helps control costs through increased user productivity
- Reduces or eliminates downtime
- Gain efficient backup operations without intervention, which:
- Eliminates the need to schedule daily backups and designation of a specified recovery time
- Reduces network bandwidth requirements
- Reduces backup capacity, as CDP save as the byte or block level, versus the file level
- Provides integration of both disk and tape solutions
The RightSafe CDP Strategy Process
In the RightSafe CDP Strategy Assessment Process you and your IT team will get one-on-one attention with the Cima team of experienced architects and consultants who will work with you to identify the most efficient and cost-effective continuous data protection solution that will meet your particular business requirements. You can rebuild an infrastructure, but when data is lost, …it’s gone. Therefore, the whiteboard session at ourRightCloud Innovation Center or at your location where we will have an in-depth discussion in the following areas:
- Explore and diagram the current backup infrastructure.
- Review the backup policies and SLA requirements
- Discuss challenges associated with the process, and how they impact the achieving the business objectives and requirements from both a financial and end user perspective
- Overview of the pros and cons of CDP solutions available today
The RightSafe CDP Strategy Benefits
The benefits of a RightSafe CDP Strategy and Assessment Process are significant. During the assessment discussion will learn about:
- The benefits and drawbacks of known backup strategies such as: traditional tape backup, near continuous backup, and disk-based solutions
- Different ways in which cost can be managed and reduced by minimizing storage requirements (tape libraries, media, and disk) with deduplication and compression technologies
- Backup methods that improve acceleration where tape backup can be done less frequently and backup window time frames can be achieved
- Effective approaches to obtaining the fastest possible recovery based on your recovery time objective and recovery point objective in order to achieve SLA goals and restoration of data after an impact event
- Implement the practice of having a centralized management process to increase operational efficiency, resulting in reduced overhead, and improve responsiveness when troubleshooting and addressing end user problems
- A proven technique that can be utilized to protect data, restore lost data, and recover damage data if a system is infected by a virus or attacked by malicious malware
Within a few days, the Cima team will produce and provide you a CDP recommendation, complete with technical and financial analysis that meets your organization data protection and recovery needs.
What is next?
The next step is not difficult to comprehend. Don’t wait for another disaster or a major impact of your data to occur before you implement necessary measures to protect it. Schedule a FREE RightSafe CDP Strategy Assessment Workshop with Cima. Depending on the challenges you need to address when it comes to data protection and backup, learn how a CDP solution can provide the resiliency required to protect your company’s most valuable asset — its data.